Inequality is for the birds
Have you heard of craftivism?
It's an advocacy technique where advocates create/craft as a way to send a message. A famous example was handkerchiefs embroidered with "don't blow it" handed to board members before a meeting. The AIDS quilt in the 90s is another famous example of craftivism.
Join us as we uplift the 28th Amendment (Equal Rights) in a fun and crafty ways. This spring, let's get our friends and neighbors to tweet at our senators by using bird houses and bird feeders to capture their interest.
Submit your pics and we'll include them on this page!
The goal is to spread your love for equality locally in an eye catching, curiosity inducing way.
Work with family, friends, colleagues, or neighbors to make bird houses and bird feeders to spread the message that "inequality is for the birds." Hang an informational card from each and install your project somewhere public.
We strongly recommend you install a minimum of 3 items near each other. Remember, the goal is to catch someone's eye and pique their curiosity. A handful of colorful bird feeders/houses should do the trick!
- Plan your project (where / when / who else will join you).
- Make the bird houses / feeders.
- Download the PDF for your state.
- Choose which front page(s) you will print (each page has 4 cards)
- Plan the back of your card.
- Option 1: print info cards on both the front and back.
- Option 2: add information about a local advocacy group to the back.
- Print on a heavy paper, cut into quarter sheets, hole punch, and laminate / weatherproof the informational cards.
- Find a rock/metal washer to hang from each card, so it has a weight to help it hang straight in the breeze.
- Install your bird houses / feeders somewhere locally with strong foot traffic. Parks, libraries, and schools are all great locations!
Share your work on social media!
Tag @VoteEqualityUS on FB / IG / Tw and please invite others to join the fun.
If appropriate for your organization, send a press release to your local papers, radio and television stations explaining the project (sample press release coming soon).